Anubis is He Who Guards The Tomb, he who exists between here and there, light and shadow, death and life.
   Sand and Time has buried the Valley of The Kings…
   The boy king is sleeping in his dark tomb, undisturbed through millennia, beyond Time itself. Desert magick has hidden his resting place for 3000 years. Who is he? Did he die young or is he merely sleeping through the millennia, waiting for something essential to happen







   The tomb of Tutankhamun, a pharaoh, dead at 18 was opened by a team of archeologists on the 17th of February 1923. Led by the Englishmen Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon, this was one of the most remarkable finds in modern archeology. The seal of the tomb was not broken. Virtually any tomb had been broken into and raided by grave robbers not just once, but twice and thrice through the millennia, but not this one.
   Something happened this day, something fundamental in human experience.
   They understood quite easily the ancient hieroglyphics above the entrance:
   "Death will come to those who disturb the sleep of the Pharaoh".
   They simply chose to ignore it. Lord Carnarvon had ignored the dire warning of both mystics and mediums before leaving England. He had been told in plain English that he would suffer sickness and death if he entered the tomb.
   And he did.

   The treasures blinded the men, as gold and fool's gold has always done.

   The most amazing part of it isn't just what happened to the excavation members, but also with others, wo, in various ways encountered the treasure, the curse.
   This is the incredible story following the excavation, the long years of death and suffering, continuing to present day:

   47 days after entering the tomb Lord Carnarvon died painfully on Hotel Continental in Cairo. The cause of death has forever been deemed as unknown, but a mosquito bit him on his cheek, on precisely the same spot where the boy king had a blemish on his skin.
   And on exactly the same moment of the lord's suffering and death, his dog, in England started barking and died, died in terror. The lights went out in the entire city of Cairo and stayed off for several minutes.

   Arthur Maze, another of the expedition's archeologists, died shortly afterwards, on the same hotel. Carnarvon had just hastily been buried. Maze complained of tiredness and went into coma, never to awaken. If the expedition's medic had a hard time explaining Carnarvon's death, they were completely clueless this time.

   Archibald Reid, the team's radiologist returned to England after complaining of exhaustion. He had just reached English soil when he died.

   George Gould, a close friend of Carnarvon traveled to Egypt when learning of his friend's demise. He visited the tomb, collapsing of high fever and died during the night.

   Carnarvon's personal secretary, Richard Bethell, died of heart failure four months after the breaching of the tomb.

   The old expression "dropping like flies" is truly a significant description of the shocking event following the breaching. More people visited the tomb and died. Within six years after this triumph of modern archeology 12 people present at the time were dead. In 1939, when the last one, Howard Carter died of what was seemingly natural causes only Richard Adamson, the security chief (not present by the breaching) was still alive. Additionally 21 connected in some (often obscure) way with the dig had died. Lord Carnarvon's half-brother committed suicide. The medics claimed temporary insanity as the cause.
   It might be true as some say that Howard Carter, having to wait for death to claim him, waiting for the curse to strike suffered the worst fate of them all.
   Some of his (few remaining) closest friends claimed he died of slow, agonizing fear. The "wonderful things" he claimed to have seen while opening the tomb had turned to terror.

   The death toll and number of "accidents" continued to mount during the latter half of the twentieth century. Academics, Egyptologists and others have attempted to ridicule and debunk the curse. To explain "rationally," to explain away the biggest "chain of coincidence" in history. Many of them have themselves fallen victim to the curse.
   Mohammed Ibrahim, Egypt's director of antiquities, died in 1966. He argued, begged Egyptian authorities not to let some of the relics leave the country for an exhibition in Paris. A car ran him down out of the blue while he was stepping out in the streets. Neither the car - nor the driver was ever found.
   Richard Adamson, in 1969 the sole survivor of the monumental expedition voiced his disbelief, his rejection of the curse. His wife died less than 24 hours later. His son barely survived an aircraft crash, but broke his back. Adamson, the old sod, determined not to give in to "superstitious nonsense", gave an interview in British television where he restated his denial.
   He crashed with a taxi later that same evening on his way from the studio. His head was almost taken off by a passing truck. Hospitalized and in bed later, with bruises and fractures, he finally came to his senses:
   - "Until now I refused to believe that my family's misfortunes had anything to do with the curse. But now I am not so sure".

   Another major chapter was written in 1972 when the precious cargo was flown to London with a Royal Air Force plane. Gamal Mehrez, Ibrahim's successor in Cairo as director of antiquities, ridiculed the curse, claiming that all the deaths and misfortunes throughout the years were "pure coincidence". He died before the plane took off.    The flight's crew members all felt heavily the curse in the years to follow.
   Flight Lieutenant Rick Laurie suffered a heart-attack in 1976 and died, after having complained of "horrible visions and nightmares". The flight engineer, Ken Parkinson lived through a number of heart -attacks. They happened every year during precisely the same time as the flight had commenced, until his final… and fatal one, in 1978. Flight Lieutenant Jim Webb lost everything he owned during a fire. Death and misfortune haunted all the crew-members. One person, after two heart-attacks "confessed" in tears that he had partaken in a poker game on the sarcophagus…

   And there's more, much, much more.

   One death, even two or three or five or six might have been a coincidence, or a chain of coincidences, but all this (and more, much, much more)?
   That, to me is a far too far-fetched explanation…



The Human Spirit Still Alive Extended SITE MAP
(All links)



Web Counter is used on this page.